I get this question a lot, especially as I am doing many more blogs and CMS run sites.
I am definitely not in favour of blogging for frequencies sake. You need to make sure that the content you are adding is of value to your readers.
Think of these options for content:
- Is it new? ie new creative content, stories, artwork
- Is it a new angle on a news story? A new perspective or raises a point that has not been widely discussed.
- Is it well researched?
- Is it an opinion? Controversy is not necessary.
- Is it an experience you can relate?
- Can you solve a problem? (This is a great way to bring in the visitors)
All of these options will help you produce good quality content. If you can build a site that has regular good quality content, you will bring in the visitors.
One thing that Matt discusses, that I have found to be true is that generating new content does bring in visitors. It also feeds your readership. An increase in your subscriptions via RSS can be an indication of long term loyal readers of your content.
So while frequent posting can bring visitors, for SEO purposes write quality content. Coupled with a regular frequency, quality content will also hook your readers and keep them coming back. It\’s called being Sticky!